I am always looking to make something new and exciting in my kitchen. I have found that when making food I often get inspired to make a dish that you wouldn’t normally make, but will have on vacation. This recipe is inspired by my Puerto Rican heritage. This recipe will include some of my favorite tastes, which are shrimp, avocados, and plantains. When you see shrimp served it will accompany plantains in a salad of some sort like in ceviche. Here I hope you enjoy this!!!
- 2 large bags of uncooked shrimp, cleaned
- Olive Oil
- 3-4 Ripe avocados
- 2 Limes
- Already prepped Pico De Gallo
- 6 Plantains
- Vegetable Oil for Frying
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 bunch of cilantro
- Goya Sazon
- Goya Sazonador (Green Top)
- Heat your oil to prepare to Fry. Note: The Oil must be very hot and it is a 2-step process to make the cups.
- Cut your plantains in this order ends, slice down on one side to each and stick in bowl with water and salt. Note: This will help you to properly peel the skin off the plantain and reduce the amount of stain you will receive while peeling. I also suggestion wearing gloves.
- Once this step is complete you then will peel the banana and cut in three whole pieces. (See photos above)
- Set aside. Drop your plantains in the hot oil allowing covering all sides. Fry on both sides until it softens. Drain then mold in a cup form-using end of muffin pan or cupper like I have above. Once you have made your plantains in this shape you must put them back in the oil to get crispy. Remove from oil when golden brown, drain, salt and cool. Set aside for filling.
- Note: Continue steps until all plantains are fried.
- In a large skillet or wok, add 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil and your favorite sorfrito. Add your shrimp, garlic and seasoning. Allow to simmer on low for 5 minutes Set aside removing 5- 10 shrimp. Take the remaining shrimp and set aside for later.
- Make your Sorfrito Shrimp Guacamole
- Cut and mash the Avocado with potato masher.
- Add Shrimp, Pico de Gallo, squeeze lime juice; add remaining garlic, salt and pepper to taste and cilantro. Mix well then refrigerate until ready to fill in plantain cups.
- You are ready to place your Sorfrito Shrimp Guacamole within the Plantain cups. Garnish with Additional shrimp and cilantro.
- Serve with a Green Salad!